Highlighting a star-studded evening of Webby friendly five-word speeches, Dan Savage struck back at Tracy Morgan’s recent controversial remarks in his acceptance speech of a Special Recognition Award at the 15th Annual Webbys on June 13 at The Hammerstein Ballroom. Savage, accepting his award for founding the groundbreaking It Gets Better Project, used his short speech to deliver a pointed message to the outspoken comic.
“Tracy Morgan can suck my…,” said Savage in his scathing critique of the star of NBC’s “30 Rock.”
In another notable five-word speech, Vogue Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour delivered remarks clearly aimed at her audience: “Sometimes geek can be chic,” the legendary editor said.
In accepting its award for Person of the Year, IBM supercomputer Watson pointedly addressed the controversy of a computer walking away with an award clearly aimed at humans. “Person of the year. Ironic.”
Other notable honorees were present as well and offered their own funny five-word speeches, including:
- James Murphy from LCD Soundsystem for Artist of the Year: “Thanks, this is deeply weird.”
- Groupon CEO Andrew Mason: “It’s short for group coupon.”
- Martin Cooper, inventor of the mobile phone, for his Special Recognition Award: “Can you hear me now?”
- Wieden + Kennedy for Agency of the Year: “Anonymous, we thank you, anonymously.”
- Chris Milk for Online Film and Video Music Award: “Sinners make the best saints.”
- Peter Vesterbacka, creator of Angry Birds, for Webby and People’s Voice Awards: “Get those pigs!!!”
Hailed as the “Internet’s highest honor” by The New York Times, The Webby Awards is the leading international award honoring excellence on the internet, including websites, interactive advertising and media, online film and video, and mobile and apps. Learn more at webbyawards.com. : :