I went to the bar, met the greatest guy and had the greatest night. So, before the end of the night, we exchanged numbers. Great, right? Well, I’ve texted three times in four days and nothing. And this isn’t the first time it’s happened. Is it me, him, the places I go or just bad karma?
Yours, Bad Karma, San Diego, CA
Hey Bad Karma,
It seems like some guys meet and marry even before the bar closes, and some meet, promise to marry and can‘t even get to the first date. I agree it’s an unkind, inconsistent and frustrating world of meeting, greeting, mating and dating. However, honey, you must be stronger than a hundred fools, tougher than a kid in a candy store and more resilient than a bad politician. Whether or not it’s you, him, the place or bad karma… it’s life, the game of life. If you’re alive and single, you have to play it. But next time don’t get so attached so quickly!
If I’m an aging and not-so-attractive gay man who hasn’t had a date in years, is there anything I can do to turn back time?
Turn Back Time, Orlando, FL
Hello Turn Back Time,
There’s great pride in aging, but yes, that won’t always get you a date. Just like nature has a way of turning a winter bush into a summer bouquet, you have ways of turning back time as well. Have a makeover, join a gym, take some self-awareness courses, i.e., the Insight or the Gratitude seminars, take some acting classes and/or dating courses. Pumpkin, it’s not who you think you are but what you do about it that makes you dateable!
Why does dating hurt so much?
Dating Pangs, Key West, FL
Dearest Dating Pangs,
Dating always was, is and will always be a 50-50 chance that two people take. Just like life, dating is all about trial and error, success and failure, idiots and interesting people. But this should make you stronger, not weaker! Embrace it all as a learning experience, but don’t get hung up on the past. If you’re on your deathbed and your last words are, “Boy, did I have an adventurous, dangerous and challenging life,” then, sweetie, you lived like Agnes Gooch!
Stay Strong, Trinity
I was with my girlfriend for what I thought would be forever, but then she ended it. And now she wants to be “friends.” What for?
Friends?, Greenwich, CT
While you’d like to think that being enemies is better than being friends, sometimes ex-couples make really great, life-long friends. And, darling, if you’re still skeptical, try reading:
Trinity’s Rational Tips for Why to Stay Friends With Your Ex
- Because she has a CAR and you don’t.
- Because he has a lot more MONEY than you and isn’t afraid to share it.
- Because they know a lot of people in your CAREER and are willing to help you.
- Because he OWNS your apartment or the house you rent.
- Because she WORKS for the airlines and is still willing to give you Buddy Passes.
- Because they are your BOSS at work and you really, really need that job.
- Because she’s the MOTHER of your child, children, dog or cats.
- Because he’s a GREAT person who really just didn’t want to date you and would rather be friends. Plus, he makes a great friend.
- Because they are a DOCTOR, lawyer, cop or judge and you can never have enough of those friends.
- Because he, she or they may be available one day for that one special night when you just need a good QUICKY.
- Lastly, because having ONE MORE ex as an enemy means at every party, club or social event, you’ll be surrounded by yet one more enemy-ex and… who needs that?
With a Masters of Divinity, Reverend Trinity hosted “Spiritually Speaking” a weekly radio drama, performed globally and is now minister of WIG: Wild Inspirational Gatherings. Sponsored by: WIG Ministries, www.wigministries.org Gay Spirituality for the Next Generation! Send e-mails to: Trinity@telltrinity.com
Join us: This story is made possible with the help of qnotes’ contributors. If you’d like to show your support so qnotes can provide more news, features and opinion pieces like this, give a regular or one-time donation today.