On September 10, President Joe Biden announced during a press conference a laundry list of mandates for protection against the COVID-19 pandemic, which was met with enthusiasm by most and cries of trampled civil rights by others.
The president’s executive ordered mandates are as follows:
- Required vaccinations or tests for all individuals who work for companies that employ over 100 employees. For those that choose to be tested, they will be given time off with pay for the testing. For companies that violate the mandate, a $14,000 fee per violation will be assessed. This requirement will cover more than three quarters of the American workforce.
- Vaccinations are now required for those who work for the federal government or are contracted to work with the federal government.
- Employees working in medical facilities that receive Medicaid or Medicare reimbursements are required to be vaccinated.
- The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will double fines on travelers who refuse to wear a mask on airlines and other modes of transportation.
- Local school districts that have implemented COVID safety measures and had their funding cut by state governments will qualify for federal funding.
Republicans in an outrage claimed Biden’s orders “smacked of the Soviet Union,” while others declared his actions as “unconstitutional,” “a war against capitalism” and a “time to use the 25th amendment and unseat the president.” His response to a member of the White House Press corps who inquired about his response to Republicans threatening to pursue legal action to prevent his mandates: “Have at it.”
After extensive legal research, the White House is confident the executive orders will stand up to scrutiny because of a 1970 Congressional Act known as the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA), which prevents individuals from causing grave harm in the workplace.
“Let me be blunt: My plan also takes on elected officials and states that are undermining you and these life saving actions,” Biden said. “If these governors won’t help us beat the pandemic, I will use my power as president to get them out of the way.”
Dr. Anthony Fauci, Director of NIAID (National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases) and one of the world’s leading experts on AIDS, COVID-19 and other infectious diseases, supports Biden’s new strong-arm tactics to get the pandemic under control.
“If you’re living in an area where the infection rate is spreading quickly and you’re not vaccinated,” said Fauci, “you’re part of the problem.”
Join us: This story is made possible with the help of qnotes’ contributors. If you’d like to show your support so qnotes can provide more news, features and opinion pieces like this, give a regular or one-time donation today.